Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Counselor Mom

In my previous life (BC- before children), I acquired my Masters in School Counseling and was working as an elementary school counselor before Gavin was born. Obviously, I did not go back to work....yet. I hope to once the kids are in school full time. I really enjoyed working with the kids. I have always had some sort of job with children. I worked in the psychiatry department at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, the commute was awful but the work was interesting. The work was assessing bipolar/depressed children and teens. Then I worked as a case manager for Big Brothers Big Sisters while getting my Masters. Ideally, I would like to find a part time job as a contracted out counselor (if finances allow) that will allow me to be home when the boys get home from school. My mom was always working very hard and was not able to do that. I know that she wanted to, she expressed it often but fortunately my grandparents lived right across the yard and I went to their house every day after school :-)

I digress, there is a group on Facebook that I belong too and they posted about this blog, The Counselor Mom. Immediately I had to check it out and it is full of excellent information that Marcin likes to refer as my 'school counselor mumbo jumbo' when I start discussing discipline, communicated, postive/negative consequences and reinforcing behaviors both postive and negative. So I wanted to share in case you weren't part of this group. She has a really good post today about the top ten myths of toddlers, LOL

happy reading!
http://www.thecounselormom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment