Thursday, November 10, 2011

aahh the mountains are calling!

My dad and Gay have a gorgeous house the North Carolina mountains. It is in West Jefferson, NC (Ashe County) about 30 minutes east of Boone (dad..correct me if I am wrong lol) The last time we were there was Thanksgiving '09 and that was just too long ago! We have had some good times there over the last several years. The house is at the top of a mountain and the views are just breath taking, the pictures do it no justice but you get the idea,
That is their house with the green roof...ok so it's not at the very top of the mountain but just about lol
Here is a better picture of the house,


My favorite spot!

I love it here. It is so peaceful and relaxing. And it will be nice to unplug from most technology for a few days. Actually I would guess we can still use it all there but I will pretend we can't because it's nice to put the computer, phones, ipads and whatever away for a bit.

There is a little town at the bottom of the mountain with a really cute Main Street and last time we were there a movie theater that still shows movies for $5! DEAL! And the Ashe County Cheese shop is amazing!
http://www.ashecountycheese.com/

Every time we go to the 'cabin' as it has since earned this name, we go here and load up on fresh cheeses and real butter. You know...the good fattening, creamy kind. This butter is amazing. It makes everything tastes so much better especially scrambled eggs and grilled cheese. And I just used some last night to make mashed potatoes...YUM! If you are ever in this area of the world, stop here, seriously. It doesn't look like much but we plan on bringing back lots of yummy goodies to get it thru to the next time we can get to the cabin.

Last time we were here Gavin was so little, almost 1.5 y/o.....My dad gave him his very first snickers when we were there lol And of course, Gavin loved it!


I know J&K are going to have a blast, especially now walking! I may have a few heart attacks while they are out on the porch since we are about a story above ground lol I need to remember to bring baby gates for outdoors :-P

Another stop we also make is the Christmas tree farm! This area is covered with Christmas tree farms. Eh hem, my husband.... will not tie a tree to the top of the car (such a city boy!) so we usually just get a wreath for the front door. My dad usually get a few trees to take him. We will be getting a real tree this year. Usually we have a fake tree but we (yes dear...you and I had this conversation) decided last year that we could get a real tree this year.

Needless to say, I am very excited for Thanksgiving this year! We will be in the mountains with the family and be able to relax, well as much as we can with the 3 boys running around lol They have to go to bed at some point right?! And the food.....oh boy this is going to be challenging with my diet but I made it through a week in SC, I can do this! Fried turkey, ham, baked macaroni and cheese, sweet potatoes, giblet and gravy, mashed potatoes........nom nom!
Speaking of diet, I did not weigh in this week. I usually weigh in on Monday mornings. I figured after going to Thai and Tapas on Sunday, that just wouldn't be a good idea. I still kept to my smaller portions but well, I just didn't want to see the damage, if there was any. So I will weigh in next monday, update will be coming then :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment