Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Will the Redskins predict our new President?

 
The Redskins Rule, as it's known, goes like this: if the Redskins win on the Sunday before Election Day, the party that won the popular vote in the prior election will win the Electoral College in the next election. If they lose, the party out of power will triumph.
Back to 1940, the Redskins have been won nine times before Election Day -- and the incumbent party is 9-0 in those years. The nine times the Redskins came up short, the party out of power is 8-1 (the only outlier is the 2004 election, where the Redskins lost to the Green Bay Packers but President George W. Bush defeated Sen. John Kerry).
 
I am not a big football follower but if you know me, you know that Marcin is a Redskins fan....a true fan because season after season he continues to cheer them on. While they are doing better this season....I can't say as much for the past few seasons (sorry babe...) Marcin was at the game this past weekend in DC where the Redskins lost, this would predict that Romney will win.
 
I took J&K with me to vote today. They were fine until I stepped behind the curtain and Jakob couldn't see me. He was screaming "MAMA!" The poll worker was trying his best to make him happy...little does he know how futile his efforts are :/ Jakob is Jakob....he just either needs to see me or become distracted to be happy again.
 
If anyone has any good books on disciplining 'spirited' or strong willed children, please send me your suggestions! Yesterday I was looking at various books and reviews. They all said one similar thing, that spirited toddlers can be a challenge when they are young but they often grow up to be motivated and successful adults. Interesting yes but this isn't very helpful to me now. Basically we shouldn't 'break' his spirit at such a young age or he will be unsuccessful. Hmmm.... there were also some suggestions on the way to discipline such as not starting sentences with the words "don't...." or "no....." Let me tell you how hard the 'don't' part is. We do use "no" sometimes but I have always tried to provide an alternate activity instead of always saying no.  I remember from my school counseling days that we were always encouraged to redirect. It isn't too hard to redirect a toddler..the hard part is for ME to remember to be patient (because this is the probably the 1000th time I have asked Jakob NOT to stand on the chair) and redirect. I have been trying very hard because I am noticing that the ways we use to discipline Kaleb and Gavin do not work for Jakob. He obviously needs a different approach....he doesn't like time out but it doesn't work for him. I am more concerned for his safety. Usually if you ask Jakob not to do something....this guarantees he will do it. So instead of asking him not to do something, I have also been trying to redirect. For example, if he throws a car. Usually I would say, "We don't throw cars." I try to remember to tell him, " Cars are for racing!! let's race!" Then he gets distracted from the fact that he is mad at Kaleb for not sharing and moves on with a new activity.
 
He likes to smack things when he gets mad or frustrated. I feel like his lack of speech also leads to alot of his frustration. He is getting better with his words but we don't always understand him, which is frustrating to him and us :-( It is ok for him to express his frustration...he can hit a pillow or a stuffed animal, just not people. So instead of saying 'Don't hit," I have been saying "Hands are not for hitting. Hands are for playing...let's go play with your blocks" Wish me luck....is isn't the easiest thing to do, especially when I am trying to take the time to discipline Jakob while Kaleb and Gavin are arguing over whose turn it is with a toy *sigh*
 
Must go get boys antibiotics :-( They have had a persistent cough for almost 3 weeks....sinus infections? Everyone is going back on their allergy meds to see if that makes a difference. I take mine year round so maybe they need to also.
I don't like giving my kids meds every day. Then I get my hair cut/highlighted tonight, YAY!!!! Followed by some yummy apps with a great friend...talk about a good evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment