Monday, July 25, 2011

Potty Training attempt = FAIL!

I didn't expect it to work....I was secretly hoping it would but in retrospect Gavin is just too hard headed and strongly dislikes to try new things, unless it is a sweet, sugary food or chip :-P I think I had a pretty good plan in place that in theory sounded great, I plan to try it again when Marcin can stay home to help me. I cannot do it by myself. It is close to impossible and beyond frustrating to keep an eye on Gavin every second while taking care of J&K. Gavin would take the opportunities I was changing or feeding babies to run, hide and use bathroom, ugh!

Gavin had his 3 year appt this a week ago. He weighs 38lbs and is 40inches tall!!! Our big boy has grown a lot! Only gained 2 lbs since his 2 year appt but grew 4 inches!!! The doc was asking me how we were handling Gavin's behavior, I replied with a lot of patience and drinks when kids are in bed, hehe He didn't think this was too funny but then again his jokes are not funny either:-P He proceeded to tell me that Gavin is the personality type who is stubborn and determined to have his way. Doc pretty much nailed it...that is Gavin. Normally I might take offense to this but he is right. He also explained that it was important for Marcin and I to be very rigid and consistent with disciplining Gavin because he will take advantage of finding someone to give him what he wants :-) Um yes...he already does this, if I say no, then he asked Marcin and vice versa.

{{{picking up where I left off on this post last week!}}}

For the past couple of weeks I have been trying to be more patient with Gavin, telling him that if he chooses to do something he is not supposed to, I then explain what the consequence will be. Occasionally I can see him stop to think about this....sometimes he makes the right choice, others time he doesn't. And that is ok, it is all about learning and pushing limits right? I get that, we have all done it. It is just stressful some days when J&K are crawling around or crying :-P Gavin was also drinking more sugary drinks than he needed to...those have also been decreased. He can have 2 per day but I have been trying to give him none after his afternoon nap. The child does not need any extra energy :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment