Thursday, April 7, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom!!!

My mom would have been 54 today and I know she would have so much fun with her grandsons :-)

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her and I know she is looking down on us each day, smiling.

For those that don't know, my mom lost her battle to breast cancer when she was just 33 years old. The same age I am now. I was 12 years old when she passed. She was diagnosed when she was 29 years old and put up a great fight but after many rounds of chemo and radiation treatments the cancer made it to her liver. I remember her as a strong, fearless, funny and loving mom. She had great family and friends who she loved to spend time.

When I turned 33, I looked at my three boys and I can't imagine how she stayed as strong as she did knowing she wasn't going to be around to watch me grow up. I hope that if I am ever faced with such an obstacle in my life that I can portray her strength.

I get my yearly mammogram and I even went for genetic testing after Gavin was born, thankfully the genetic testing came back negative. I do not carry the breast cancer gene which was a huge relief to me but at the same time made me realize I have to keep up a healthy lifestyle not only for myself but my family. I may not carry the gene but as the doctor explained to me, that doesn't mean I am in the safety zone. However it was a huge relief and weight off my shoulders to know that I didn't carry the gene.

Like every day, I will be thinking of my Mom on her special day :-)

1 comment:

  1. happy birthday to your mom! you are a strong woman just like her! :)

    ReplyDelete