Friday, February 25, 2011

These are the days...our babies are only babies once!

Lately I find myself frustrated when someone doesn't nap or Kaleb decides he is too distracted to eat or I worry that the babies reflux is flaring up...something, there is always something for me to stress over or overanalyze :-) While I don't do it quite as bad as I did with Gavin (him being our first child and all), I do still do it lol

I need to let it go....I am a typical Type A personality and I have a few control issues (yes Marcin, I am fully aware of this!) I do best when I have a routine and some structure. This was probably my biggest obstacle when Gavin and the twins were born because as we all know, if you have kids....routine and structure takes some work to establish. They are pretty much non-existent the first 3-4 months.

So with the twins, we do our best to have them eat around the same time...this obviously doesn't always work out when someone (eh hem, Kaleb) doesn't want to eat because he is too busy or would rather play than eat (i.e. JUMP). I do my best for the twins to nap at the same time and while I am usually successful, I don't stress over that. Jakob and Kaleb have different needs when it comes to napping...Kaleb is an easy sleeper. Jakob is not. I can miss Kaleb's sleep window and he will still find his thumb and go to sleep, usually. If I miss Jakob's sleep window...he will cry for at least 30 minutes and then only nap for 30 minutes instead of 1.5 hour. The child is his father's son...high maintenance ;-)

Reflux...for now Jakob and Kaleb's reflux is under control, thankfully. It was a rough couple of months when we were trying to figure, along with adjusting to 3 under 3, shew!

All in all, I look at my sweet babies at the end of day when they are bed so peaceful and my heart is just full of love for my boys :-) And I need to stop and slow down because this is all going too fast. The twins are going to 6 months next week, how is that possible?

One day they aren't going to nap at all and I can't complain about them not eating or sleeping, wonder if its teething or reflux because when I can't worry about all this silly stuff, that will mean they arent my little babies anymore...they are growing up. And while they may not like it...they will ALWAYS be my babies and I know my current worries will be replaced by new ones, but again that is because they will be growing up. I am excited to see what young men they grow up to be.

But y'all know me, I will still do my best to have some structure and keep some sort of routine, especially when it comes to sleep! sleep begets sleep. I was skeptical with Gavin when I read this but it was proven to be true....others tell us just keep the kid up late, he will sleep in.....nope not Gavin. The later he stays up, the earlier he is up. If he ever missed his naps or didn't nap well, his night sleep would be awful. The twins are just reinforcing that point. So as one friend lovingly called me with Gavin, The Nap Nazi, is still here and won't be going anywhere just yet :-)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you call Marcin high maintainance - my type A personality drives him crazy too! Sounds like you're doing great!
    JSR

    ReplyDelete