Saturday, March 5, 2011

So its not just my kids lol

About 3 weeks ago...Kaleb suddenly didn't want to eat during the day. Then not long after that Jakob started doing the same. I tried to remember Gavin at 6 months and wouldn't you know...he did the same thing. He went from 36oz/day to about 20. We thought it was reflux which could have been playing a part in it but I have a feeling there were other factors as well.

A couple weeks after Kaleb started refusing to eat (you have seen his pictures....the kids like his food!) I took him to pediatrician to make sure he didn't have ear infection. Ears were perfect. Doc was not concerned since he was not losing weight hehe. He mentioned it could be teeth starting to push on gums. I still worried of course :-P

So Marcin and I have just been winging it and letting them eat what they want...most of the time. As long as it doesn't effect their napping or night sleeping :-P But is started messing with nap time and we can't have that!

Then I got a message from a friend today who has a 5 month son and she said her son was pretty much refusing to eat during day...hmmm this sounds familiar :-P

So I have my own theory that obviously my boys aren't the only ones that experience this. It could be reflux flaring up, thats always possible. It could be teeth pushing or cutting (but I doubt the cutting because gavin didn't cut a tooth til 9 months). And while we have started solids they aren't eating that much to affect their appetites like this. I think its just plain old distraction. Obviously in this fun world there are SO many other things baby's would rather be doing than sitting still and eating = 0

We try all the tricks.....tv, holding them differently, different rooms, dangling a toy in front for them to play with, etc. Every day something different works...it is rarely the same thing.

Many days I think this usually wouldn't be such a worry to me but there are TWO of them :-) I try to keep them on a similiar schedule throughout the day. If I have 2 babies eating a couple ounces here and couples there....their naps will be all screwed up and I will be feeding babies all.day.long. I just can't do that. Gavin only has so much patience :-P As you can all know...me and my type A personality need routine and structure.

So I was just happy to hear that its just not my kids that do this :-)

3 comments:

  1. Brayden has been doing this off and on. I was thinking it was a reflux/teething thing to but i don't know as well. Some days he will only take 3oz of his 6 oz bottles. He usually eats every 3 to 3 1/2 hrs. I noticed if i shift his bottles an extra 30 mins apart it can help. sometimes he will go 4- 5 hours before i can get him to take a bottle. he's not loosing weight either so i'm not too worried and he is peeing regularly... your boys are def not the only ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in case I started giving him a full tab of prevacid in the morning and half a tab before bedtime bottle, by the end of the week he was eating better. I also started the oatmeal cereal at same time so I think it could be a combo of things from being distracted to reflux to maybe being too backed up from the rice cereal to be comfy? who knows lol as long as he is happy and eating well, I am ok with that :-)
    my only issue with it is that when Gavin did it...for over a month he had silent acid reflux and our old pedi kept telling me it was just teething. Now I know better. Everything else was fine with Gavin but he wouldn't eat and again he wasn't losing weight so they weren't worried. Eventually after switching docs he diagnosed with silent reflux. live and learn but I didn't want to make the same mistake twice :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's great you are taking charge.. i hate when drs dont listen. Brayden has that silent reflux too. it's no fun.. and can make things hard to know whats going on. glad the extra meds helped! Rice cereal is the worst with backing kids up.. fortunately the alimentum and rice kind of balance out but he's back on oatmeal. today was one of those eating 3-4 oz per bottle days.. uggh.. but he has a cold so that's why..

    ReplyDelete