Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It's official....

.... I am a true Delawarean, I have an allergist LOL When I moved here (almost 10 years ago...hard to believe it has been that long!) everyone told me I would develop allergies. I didn't believe them, I had never had allergies in my life! And if you have seen the pollen in the southern states in the spring...it is crazy amounts! If that didn't cause me develop allergies, I thought for sure i would be exempt here. HMPH...not so much. I was here for about 2 years and I kept getting congested, head/sinus pressure, etc. All the typical allergy symptoms but I refused to believe it! Eventually I went to my family doc and I tried a few allergy meds and I felt better. I don't understand why allergies are so prevalent here....wetlands, Dupont, Astrazeneca, what?! So for the past 3 months or so, I have been congested (Even while taking my allergy meds....all year long). I figured it was time for me to officially see an allergist and figure out exactly what I am working with here. ugh so annoying...I don't like to take medicines every day. It bugs me. I have to guess the boys will eventually develop these seasonal allergies as well and then they will need meds also. Again, I don't like giving them medicines on a daily basis either. I have not really looked at the research on kids allergy meds and long term side effects.

So while I may be officially a Delawarean due to my allergist.....I can't say I will claim it (no offense to those from Delaware!) I will always be a southern girl at heart, that is my home :-)

It's been the same old craziness at my house :-) I have a new project though and I am excited to have some new to do instead of the daily cleaning/laundry/cook....repeat. We got Gavin's full size mattress over the weekend. We are going to give his room a fresh coat of paint and do a striped accent wall behind his headboard. He is not really into any characters ( like Mickey, Woody or Buzz) so his duvet cover is circles with various shapes inside the circles in the colors of olive Green, light blue, navy and chocolate brown. Honestly, I am glad he is not into characters.....yet. I don't know when that happens in a kids brain but it hasn't occurred in Gavin's yet and I fine with it! lol All he wants is instruments, the child loves instruments!

Kaleb has really been working on some teeth lately, poor guy :-( He just finished with his last molar and I saw a top eye tooth cutting, ouch! The eye teeth were the worst with Gavin and judging from Kaleb whining and constant need to be held lately, I would have to guess it isn't feeling much better for Kaleb :/

Jakob has his surgery Monday. He is getting his ear tubes replaced (the right one fell out a couple months ago) and his adenoids removed. Let's hope this helps with his mouth breathing and constant congestion. He is also getting a 4th tooth on the bottom....he acts like it is  molar but it isn't. I shudder to think how he will be when his molars and eye teeth start coming, yikes! The doctor can't even listen to his heart with a stethoscope without him screaming :-P so dramatic lol

J&K are also going to be evaluated by the Child Development Watch ( speech in Delaware for under 3 y/o). I told myself I wouldn't really start worrying about their speech until they were 18 months but we were at the pediatricians office for someone...we are there so often, I can't remember who and I brought it up. J&K really only have one word :/ They will say 'dada.' In the past week or so, they have added "mama" to the mix. Jakob is pretty good with his sign language. Kaleb made up his own so we understand him, no one else would know what his motions mean :-P By 17 months, Gavin had 8-10 words. I know, I know I shouldn't compare but it is impossible not to. There are things J&K do now that Gavin didn't do until he was much older....I know they all develop differently but I really felt like they ought to have more words by now. They gesture and express loudly their opinions, wants and dislikes. They clearly comprehend things we tell them, listen when they feel like it and are aware of the names of various items. They make alot of word/letter sounds but they can't quite get it out. You would think one of them would have more words than the other but they are on the same page with this one. Which is unusual because someone is usually ahead or doing the opposite with those two :-P So when I expressed my concerns to doc...he agreed with me that while it is not a huge concern at their age, it can't hurt to be proactive and have them evaluated. He also had a good point....he explained that because they aren't using words they will tend to be more physical in their social settings. Instead of using words to express themselves...they will push, shove, throw things, etc. Let's face it....they are boys. Boys are usually physical to begin with so to save my sanity and help them with their speech, they are going to be evaluated in a couple weeks to see if they have any areas of concern. We read to them, repeat what we say, talk to them all the time and the words just aren't there. I would imagine one day we will look back and laugh at this because if they are anything like Gavin.....they aren't going to STOP talking! lol

I took Gavin to Child Find (speech in Delaware for over 3 y/o) this morning because he says a few words like 'wash' 'fish' 'wish,' mostly words that end with 'sh' or 'ch'.....when he says them it sounds different. I wasn't sure if it was a developmental thing that he would outgrow or an issue. Again, I'd rather be proactive :-) y'all know me! A little over the top at times but if I have learned anything, parents intuition (mom's especially) is rarely wrong! So we spent an hour with the speech therapist, super nice! She first did an evaluation with Gavin to talk about various items, sequencing, colors, sounds, situations. etc. That took about 30 minutes for which he sat and listened, which is huge for a 3.5 y/o! Then she went over some pictures so he could say the words. She immediately picked up on my concern. She said that does concern her and based on that it can't hurt to have him see the speech therapist once a week to work on it. She also said (this is my bragging moment!!!!!!) that the first part took so long because he kept answering the questions correct. The more that are answered correct, then you keep going on the eval. She said based on his answers, he was at a 5-6 year old level! HE IS A GENIUS! ;-)

Must get boys up and ready to go to pediatrician.....I know they will be surprised to see me :-P Gavin woke up last night crying that his ear hurts. Last week we were there because he was congested and mild fever, he has ear infection in left ear. He has been on antibiotic since then so I don't know how another one would develop in his right ear but it would make sense based on his behavior lately and how much he has been sleeping :/ I swear they need to just rent a room out to me during the winter months.....over all these nasty germs!!!

1 comment:

  1. Go Gavin! We knew he was smart but getting it validated is amazing! You must be over the moon proud!
    Best of luck on monday with Jakob! i'm sure he will do amazing!
    Uggh Allergies.. that's def a regional thing, even Jason moving from North to South Jersey has some allergy issues. Mine are so bad the I am suppose to get the allergy shots. I need to get back to my allergist after baby and get retested and all. Best of luck with that!!
    Re-doing the room sounds like fun!! Brayden likes characters (mostly elmo) but i'm trying to stay away from doing anything major with his room, can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete