Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11..I can't watch it again :-(

I remember this day 10 years ago....it's like it was a few days ago. I was on my way to a psychology class and talking on the phone to my dad. I had saw something on tv going on when I left my apartment, I got a text from a friend and immediately called my dad to see what was going on. He told me and it seemed so surreal,  How could this happen in our country?! I went to class and told my professor I couldn't stay today. He looked at me and said it would be an unexcused absence, I said that was fine because I didn't know what was going on but I sure couldn't sit in class.

I left, went home and watched the news all day long in complete awe. It was like watching a movie. I remember trying to call all my friends that were in NYC, DC and PA but not being able to reach them because the cell lines were so busy. Seeing all the footage again is still unreal. Even when I moved to NYC 2 years later to live with my bestest friend in Battery Park, a few blocks from Ground Zero, and saw all the destruction....I just kept asking, how?! How did this happen here?

All week I have seen the 9/11 specials on tv, magazines and everywhere. I think it is wonderful, amazing, sad, horrific and all these emotions mixed together. I have an entirely new perspective of 9/11 now that I am married and have children. I cannot imagine how all those families felt losing their loved ones. It breaks my heart. And my children...knowing I wouldn't see them again. I guess this also plays a part on why I can't watch the specials. The kids talking about their moms or dads they didn't get to meet.......I do love the State Farm commercial with the kids singing 'New York,' way to go State farm!

It is a wonderful thing to memorialize this day, celebrate those brave people who lost their lives looking for others and honor everyone.  I have been thinking of those families all week leading up to this day, and praying for them to have strength on this day. Having lost my mom at a young age, the feeling of loss and wishing them to be here never goes away. She is always in my thoughts and my days as I am sure their lost loved ones are.

Hold your kids and family a little bit closer today, and every day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment