Sunday, December 23, 2012

finally...ready for Christmas!!

I honestly did not think we would get here! All I need is a pack of C batteries and a bottle of wine, good to go!

I got the rest of my baking finished up yesterday....sugar cookies, peanut butter blossom (YUM!!!), red velvet bundt cake and mini oreo cheesecake (Thank you pinterest....seriously if you are an Oreo lover, you will love, love, love these things!) Run to the store, get the ingredients and make them before the ever popular News Years resolution to eat healthy, LOL http://www.threesquarechef.com/2011/06/mini-oreo-cheesecakes.html

We got all the gifts wrapped last night...clean up house over next couple of days, work on bathroom and wait for the Big Guy to come visit :-)

When Gavin was born we decided we would stay in Delaware for Christmas instead of traveling. It is hectic enough to travel, let alone over the Christmas holidays so we felt this was a great idea. Especially after J&K were born...home it is! Pre-kids we would alternate Thanksgiving and Christmas with our families. It makes me sad not to have my family with me during the holiday but my prince charming was in Delaware....whats a girl to do?! :-)

Growing up our Christmas celebration was we were able to open one gift on Christmas Eve. Leave out the cookies and beer for Santa. Santa came while we slept and all of our gifts were laid out around the tree, couch, somewhere was designated for our things. I had two younger brothers so we each had our 'section' hehe Then we would spend the day going from house to house eating, playing pollyanna, etc. I did not like the going from house to house part. I wanted to stay home and play with my new stuff, hmph It was always so rushed on an already busy day.

As an adult, this didn't change much until I got married and adopted some new Christmas traditions. Obviously, Marcin's family does things a little differently than mine does. I guess you could say Santa comes while you are eating Christmas Eve dinner :-) We all go to my In-laws house, eat dinner and then open all the presents. They don't open anymore presents on Christmas day, all are opened on Christmas Eve. He also told me they didn't do stockings :-( My Christmas stocking was always my favorite thing to go through...this is where the good stuff always was!!!

Now as a parent, Marcin and I had to come to a compromise on this because as you can see Santa visits each family at different times :-) So we developed our own Christmas traditions, as most married couples probably do. We go to church and chase our children around, then Marcin's parents house for Christmas Eve dinner, take lots of pictures and open all gifts that Santa bring there. We tell the kids we have to hurry to get home because Santa will be coming to our house next! We come home, put out the cookies and vodka/beer/milk and leave Santa a short note thanking him for all his hard work and gifts, get kids in bed and get to work! Some wrapped gifts under the tree, a few things not wrapped but by the tree such as an electric guitar and cymbal, fill the stockings up with goodies and sleep, aahhhhh.

Kids wake up, open up presents, play, play, play, play, play, play and play some more. Take lots of pictures. Last year we had the family over to our house for brunch. We loved this because we didn't have to pack up the kids and rush anywhere. They are able to play with their new toys and family can come see the rest of their Santa gifts.

Now that I have gotten everything done, I am excited to see these sweet faces light up over their gifts and the idea of Santa. I need to enjoy this while I can until they figure out whats going on, like I did and used to sneak downstairs in middle of night to find someone else placing gifts under the tree. (Sorry dad...you probably didn't know I was doing this lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment