Tuesday, August 21, 2012

We survived camping AND it was fun!!!!

Even though it rained the first night (while we were sleeping, thankfully!) and it was a ridiculous amount of work keeping up with our children, we had a great time!! Jakob and Kaleb may have been a year too young but despite the chasing them all over campground or strapping them into the stroller to give us a break, it was fun :-)



We got there Friday about 5:00 and set up everything. Our car was packed to the very last inch....I am surprised we had room for the kids! It is hard to pack your house into a minivan. I am a well known overpacker and packing things for 'just in case' situations. So I packed way too much initially and then repacked later....still a full car. I thought for sure our back bumper would be dragging on the road! It was much fun UNpacking all this stuff and attempting to set up with the boys running around:-P Our friends have two girls the boys age and they happily sat in the car watching a movie while their parents set up. Hmph...that would not happen with the boys, they would scream until we let them loose lol About 10 arguments later between Marcin and I, our camping neighbor returning Kaleb to our campsite, many slices of Papa johns pizza and two drinks....we were set up. Whew....exhausting!!!  We had two tents with Marcin and Gavin in one. Myself, J and K in the other. Let me tell ya, a tent looks big enough until you get two pack n plays and a double air mattress in there, it was tight but we managed. It rained the first night while we slept so we woke up to many mud puddles and wet dirt....fun :-P I had packed the boys rainboots because these were on my 'just in case' list and I was so thankful I did!!! They were running around in their zip Pj's and rain boots :-) Jakob absolutely loved all the puddles....pretty sure Marcin was having a mild anxiety attack from all the dirt AND it being on our children. eh...dirt is dirt. God made dirt and dirt don't hurt right? I remember a teacher telling us that in school :-P



Saturday morning started out a little rough because the boys were going nuts in the dirt, we were trying to find things to get breakfast going and I was getting angry at my children because they would NOT stay in one place or even listen, RRRRR!!! All of this before my morning coffee! lol

Our friends hit the water park but I just couldn't take another minute of chasing the kids....Marcin and I needed a break so we went for a walk and headed to the arcade where we discovered THE perfect area for a campsite. We really considered moving here....the area where the shark was was FENCED in, yes people....a fence! Anyone with multiples dream come true!!! AND no dirt, all rocks! perfection I tell ya lol They ran and climbed for a little bit. Marcin and I got a break and then headed to the arcade. That was a much needed containment break for us.....it is NOT easy being outnumbered by your kids, especially with two of the same age.


We made it to the water park after naps that day and it was alot of fun! There were two big waterslides, lazy river and a kid area. The kids pool was 1.5 ft deep and had a fun small slide in the middle. Jakob LOVED it!!! We finally have a kid who loves the water :-) Gavin is starting to enjoy it but Kaleb reminds me so much of Gavin at his age. Kaleb wanted nothing to do with the water. Finally I took him to front of the pool where there were little sprinklers so he could warm up to it, then he would slowly stand up for a few minutes, take a couple of steps and probably 30 minutes later he was having fun. sheesh! lol

I could take or leave a pool...I dont like water in my face, especially my eyes :/ I would guess this is from wearing contacts for so long that I could never really get water in my eyes without it bothering me. I can remember as a kid taking swimming lessons and just not being that interested. Hmm....now that I think about it, perhaps i am just not a fan of the pool after all. Eh, thats ok....Marcin likes it so he can play with boys while I lounge in the chair reading a book.....one day that will happen right?! Lol

I am sure you are wondering, what in the world did they eat while camping?! Kielbasa of course! We had 5 lbs of it and it was delicious!!! It doesnt get much better than kielbasa cooked over a campfire :-) My friend and I spent hours in kitchen cooking snacks and preparing for our weekend only to discover that everyone only wanted popcorn, banana bread and kielbasa. Note to self for next year :-)

I was really worried about the campfire but surprisingly the kids did really well staying away from it. J&K understand that fire is hot but I thought for sure someone would touch it or something!

The campground was a perfect size for a family with younger kids!!! They had a small waterpark, a western town that did shows, arcade, restaurant, 2 playgrounds, a pool, marina and a campstore with pretty much anything you need. I expected the camp store to be bare essentials but they pretty much had it all :-) There was a free shuttle bus to take you to ocean city to the boardwalk and beach. We didn't make it there but our trip got cut short thanks to the rain on Sunday :-( Another saving grace and super convenient amenity is the golf carts you can rent. The kids would have been happy simply riding that around all day lol We managed to get all 9 of us on the golf cart lol

I am excited to go back next year, it will be much more fun with J&K being older. I am starting my packing list now while it is still fresh in my mind what we will need and didn't end up needed this year :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment